The Route 7 Corridor Improvements Project is a design-build project in which the design and construction processes occur concurrently under a single contract. Design-build delivery can provide significant time savings compared to the traditional design-bid-build process, allows VDOT and its contractor to approach the project collaboratively, and encourages the use of innovative ideas and techniques. The contract for the Route 7 Corridor Improvements Project was executed on July 30, 2018. Shortly thereafter, the design-build team of Shirley Contracting Company, LLC and Dewberry Engineers Inc. began collaborating with VDOT on the design. Construction started in Spring 2019 and the project is expected to be complete by July 31, 2024.
Schedules are approximate and subject to change.
The Route 7 Design-Build Team has committed to several early improvements while construction is ongoing along the corridor:
- Construct and open a third left-turn lane from westbound Route 7 to Baron Cameron Avenue.
- Scheduled completion date – August 29, 2019
- Actual completion date – August 19, 2019
- Temporarily widen Towlston Road between Vernon Drive and Route 7 to provide 250 feet of left-turn stacking to eastbound Route 7.
- Scheduled completion date – Summer 2020
- Actual completion date – October 2019
- Construct and open the Route 7/Lewinsville Road intersection with displaced left-turn lane from eastbound Route 7 to Lewinsville Road.
- Scheduled opening date – October 25, 2022
- Actual opening date – August 29, 2022
- Construct and open third through-lane from Riva Ridge Drive to Reston Avenue on eastbound and westbound Route 7.
- Scheduled completion date – October 25, 2022
- Actual completion date – October 12, 2022